Friday, September 25, 2009

Engagement Story...

About three weeks ago, my life was flipped upside down... quite literally actually :)
Jon and I went to Busch Gardens for a day of fun and the weather really was beautiful. We had a leisurely morning and then were on our way with lunch in the car. Looking back on it now, Jon didn't come across as nervous or strange at all that morning! However, he did forget his wallet so I got to pay for the park! I think it's fair enough now since I have a beautiful diamond on my finger!
Before this trip, Jon had been telling me that he really wanted me to ride in the front of row of "The Griffon" with my eyes open... I told him he was crazy. (There is a video link below to take a "virtual" ride of the roller coaster. ) But I knew he was going to make me do it, so I wanted to go on it first to "prepare" myself for the front row. We rode in the back row, and my eyes stayed shut pretty much the whole time :) We went a second time and I might have opened my eyes for about... 2 seconds... it was progress.
Later that afternoon we decided we were going to wrap up our day with the Rapids, Apollo's Chariot and then The Griffon. Well we went on the Rapids... and when we got off... not an inch of our bodies were dry. Needless to say, my hair was ruined, lol. We then headed off to Apollo's Chariot and someone was blessed with two very wet seats after us! Onto The Griffon...
We decided we would end with two rounds of The Griffon. The first time we went on we was in the 2nd row and I was pretty good about keeping my eyes open... except as we were creeping upwards and when we were hanging staring straight down :) The final run on the Griffon wouldn't be the quite the same...
So we wrap back around to stand in line for the front row.. I was nervous! Once in line, Jon was acting very sweet and lovey :) I remember telling him, "So all I have to do to get some good lovin' is ride the front row?!?" He said, "Yup, that's it!" All along, he was must have been laughing at me! As we neared the front, he says, " You have to ride on the edge, that way it makes you feel like you are really just hanging in the air." I wasn't going to make a big deal of it, but he counted the people, and it worked out that I would get the edge because there were two empty seats that would be after us. After some trouble (wink wink) with two single riders, I was sitting in the front on the edge and I was not happy :)
The incline begins and my eyes are SQUEEZED closed. And I hear Jon say, "You know, our relationship has been a lot like roller coaster." All I respond with is, "Aha..." and fear in my voice. We finally get to the top where the roller coaster loops you around before letting you hang over the edge and stare 200 feet down. I again hear Jon talk to me and he says, "Do you love me? Do you trust me?" And I look at him, thinking, where is this coming from?!? We are about to drop 200 feet! And when I look over at him, he is holding a red box out in front of me. My first thought was, wow, that looks like a ring box... why would he tease me like this?!? He then asks me, "Can we be serious for a minute?"
By this point my head is spinning and we are nearing the edge of the roller-coaster. I'm pretty sure I gave a small "aha..." as I stared at the box. I remember moving my head slightly and when I looked back over at him, the box was open and I was staring at a beautiful diamond. By this time, we are creeping to the edge of the roller coaster. As the diamond is hanging out in front of us, the roller-coaster tilts and we are staring straight down. As my head is spinning, I hear Jon say, "Will you marry me?"
The only thing I could do was yell, "Are you kidding me?!?" lol
The next thing I knew we were dropping 200 feet straight down and I am screaming and crying tears of joy. We finally slow dow for the end, and I tell him, "I'm not sure if I said yes yet, but YES!" Jon then asked if he could fit in on my finger... what an incredible feeling! Through tears and laughs and incredible joy we made it off the roller-coaster and out of the park floating on cloud nine :)
Needless to say, the day was AMAZING and I feel so blessed.
We have truly been through a roller-coaster of a relationship, but it's been a blast. God has blessed us tremendously, and we are so excited to see what the Lord has for us next.
Thank you to the MANY of you, who have fed into us, loved on us, encouraged us, and not given up on us. We couldn't be where we are without the Lord and all of you.

There will be more details to come as we figure them out :)

Link to the virtual ride for the Griffon--- http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=88d_1197881705


1 comment:

  1. So I've heard this story what like 7-10 times? I've even retold it myself a few times. Yet I am sitting here bored at work reading your blog and I start crying while reading the story! What the heck?! Ha... didn't expect that. BUT the vitrual ride makes the story SO MUCH BETTER! :) Good job brother Jon!!

    ReplyDelete